Why do we separate ourselves so entirely?

Articles about otherkin, magic, spirituality, and related topics. This section can be viewed by guests.

Why do we separate ourselves so entirely?

Postby Seraphyna on Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:34 am

*Before I begin, I'd just like to say that this isn't an attack on anyone, or even really a response to this specific forum, simply my reaction to reading the topics and responses I've come across on many otherkin forums. It is also not intended to tell people what to believe or how to view themselves. Please take that into consideration.*

On many otherkin forums, I notice that people seem to think that they are not human, are somehow better than other humans, or have some kind of higher knowledge than other humans. First off...we might have non-human souls/energies/what-have-you, but in this life we are human. Our genes tell us we are human. We speak human languages, we eat human foods, we love other humans, we take part in human societies. Thus, for all intents and purposes, we are human.

Being otherkin does not give us some kind of divine knowledge, higher worth, etc. So other people bother you? Well how do you know they too aren't otherkin? How do we know for sure that we're not all suffering from the same mental disorder and are all loonies? Long story short, we don't. We, as otherkin, do not have "powers" or "abilities" that non-kin do not. Past life memories may give us insights that others don't have, but that goes for kin and non-kin alike.

Now, people annoy me just as much as the next girl, but it isn't because they're non-kin. Plenty of otherkin annoy me just as much, if not more. I think the otherkin community often gets a bad rap because we come across as finding ourselves to be superior...well, folks we aren't. We suffer the same diseases, heartbreaks, let-downs, losses, etc. as every other human on the planet.

What does being otherkin get us? Maybe some insights, knowledge, ridicule, stereotyping, you get the idea and have probably witnessed the down-sides first hand at some point (if not, you will). But who's to say that non-kin don't also have something to offer? They too have knowledge, insights, abilities, etc. There's nothing an otherkin can do that a non-kin cannot do or learn to do...and I am a firm believer in this.

In this life, we are human for a reason. We are here perhaps to learn, grow, influence, a few are probably here as punishment, but that too is cause to learn. I hope it is realized that when otherkin sit back and complain about "humans" and not "other humans" that they are missing the point of this incarnation entirely. As I've already said, there's no way for us to know that these "humans" we complain about aren't otherkin. I mean, if you ask them before you type about them, do correct me...but I know I've complained about "humans" before reaching these conclusions...I've been just as guilty...having no idea if "humans (aka non-kin)" is truly what they were.

The bottom line in this book-sized post is this: I think the otherkin community as a whole needs to take a step back and realize their humanity, for humanity has a lot to teach us all. Humans, as a species, are very versatile. If we all spent less time complaining about "being stuck here in human bodies" and more time trying to understand and learn from our humanity, the otherkin community as a whole would be a much happier place.

If you've read this whole thing and thus made it this far, thanks for reading. Again, I tried my very best to type this out diplomatically and non-offensively, so please, if this post made you mad, take a deep breath, go for a walk, calm down, and then really read this over again.

~Sera
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."-Tolkien
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Poe
Seraphyna
Site Admin
Site Admin

kin type: Lion and reef shark
Spiritual Path: Spiritually Apathetic

Re: Why do we separate ourselves so entirely?

Postby Miniar on Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:25 am

Honestly, I think the problem lies in the "desperate desire" to be special.
People don't want to know themselves, they don't want insights, they don't want to grow, they want to seperate themselves from everyone else by being special, by being otherkin.
And it ticks me off sometimes.
"Those who can't approach discussion with a basic level of intelligence and maturity shouldn't expect to be taken seriously." ~ Qualia Soup
Miniar
Alumni

kin type: Rakshasa Elf Halfbreed.
Spiritual Path: Heathen

Postby kahoku on Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:07 pm

i love this article. could i post it into the article section of the okp main page? with full credit, of course.
Support OKP! >> Image << Get a unique user title!
kahoku
cookie demon
cookie demon

kin type: median (demon core)
Spiritual Path: chaotibuddhimanistic

Postby Seraphyna on Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:02 pm

I'd be honored :)
Seraphyna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Taiaka on Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:57 pm

*high-fives Seraphyna* Very good points!
"Will minus intellect constitutes vulgarity." -Arthur Schopenhauer

Taiaka
Wonky Prophet
Wonky Prophet

kin type: yes
Spiritual Path: hell in a handbasket

Postby kahoku on Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:14 pm

added. :)
Support OKP! >> Image << Get a unique user title!
kahoku
cookie demon
cookie demon

kin type: median (demon core)
Spiritual Path: chaotibuddhimanistic

Postby chaitea on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:12 am

Don’t forget about the less publicized self-loathing otherkin who like calling themselves such not so much as to feel special, but to feel they have another thing wrong with them and to whine about cause it’s such a burden (even though they have perfectly fine other mundane qualities which should be their larger concern then the possible state of their soul).

But yeah, the one’s you cover are the loudest and can be the most obnoxious to deal with.
Home is where the hoard is
chaitea
The Ship's Doctor
The Ship's Doctor

kin type: Dragon

Postby Kreyas on Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:10 am

Freetha wrote:Honestly, I think the problem lies in the "desperate desire" to be special.
People don't want to know themselves, they don't want insights, they don't want to grow, they want to seperate themselves from everyone else by being special, by being otherkin.
And it ticks me off sometimes.

Or it could just be people associating so much with a group that they rarely associate with those outside that group. As a result, they start disliking those outside the group for *insert reason here* and somehow they're better than them. In other words: stereotyping. I see this in many places, not just the Otherkin community or even the metaphysical/religious/spiritual communities but also professional communities.
Co-host of the Pagan Centered Podcast.
Kreyas
Sponsor
Sponsor

kin type: irrelevant

Postby Seraphyna on Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:11 pm

I've noticed that it's such a human trend to hate most what we see and hate in ourselves..so when I see 'kin human hating...just makes me think that they hate humans so much because they hate their own humanity. It's sad really.
Seraphyna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Articles