The Forgotten Truth

Articles about otherkin, magic, spirituality, and related topics. This section can be viewed by guests.

The Forgotten Truth

Postby freelanceangel on Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:13 pm

We're human.

First and foremost, let's make that clear, shall we? We have human form. Our thoughts are formed in human language. We enjoy and suffer human delights and concerns. We move, talk, think, act in human ways. This is accepted, no? We all understand that we are, without a doubt, human.

Now, on to the more interesting question.

All otherkin will discuss the pros and cons of being what they are. An angel will talk about memories of Heaven. Dragons will remember flight and their chosen caves longingly. Vampires debate the morality of feeding. Otherkin discuss the daily details of their 'kin with enthusiasm, and lament with each other that we're locked into these human forms.

Where's the delight with being human?

Consider this-
We're all otherkin, but none of us are the same. The dragons, angels, demons, fae, vampires, elves and various others are all different. What, in fact, is the same about any of us?

We're human.

Yes, we're othersouled. We hold a belief- indeed, this is merely a belief, not a proven fact, as much metaphysical discussion tends to be- that we are incarnations (be we walk-ins, multiples, starseeds or various others) of non-human things. Yes, we believe we are something that is not used to dealing with daily human life, and we discuss this with fervor. However, the very fact that we need to discuss this, analyze it and seek confirmation from others demonstrates that we're human.
Do angels need to verify that they're angels? No. Does a dragon doubt that it is a dragon? No. Humans question themselves. Humans question everything, and they do so with a dedication that has lead to philosophy, art, written language, mathematics, science, technology, music... Humanity itself has used its' desire to know to create wonderous things.

Isn't that the joy of being human?

We get so caught up in longing for what we think we were, or what we think we had, that we completely ignore what is right in front of our noses. Hold up your hand. Spread the fingers and look at it. Did dragons have hands like these? Could they pick up a pen and write a poem? Could they use a paintbrush to create an image the world has never before seen? Could they lift a flute to lips and play beautiful music?
Go out into the sunlight. Feel the warmth of it on your skin. Can vampires do this? Can vampires enjoy a juicy peach?
Take a moment to sprawl on a carpet and stare at the ceiling. Did angels do this? Did they have a chance to just relax? To enjoy a cup of coffee without restriction? Did they have relationships which didn't involve overwhelming amounts of responsibility?

Now the arguments can be made that we don't know for sure what their lives were like. That's true- all we're going off of is mythology, feelings, memories and logical discussion. This is all theory, but the facts we have are those of our humanity. Our ability to form close connections, develop ideas, make choices and explore is one of our greatest strengths. We're human and that's a good thing.
We have physical bodies that can move, bend, stretch, run and fold. We have minds that can examine, explore, ponder, analyze and create. We have hearts that can hurt, heal, love and break. We have language that allows us to share our thoughts and discoveries. We have the desire to seek, to learn, to find and know that which we do not already. Humanity is capable of great horror, yes, but also capable of great wonder. Was it an angel that painted the Mona Lisa? Did a dragon compose Mozart's operas? A vampire, certainly, didn't write along with Walt Whitman.

We are human, and we forget that so easily in the wonder of discovering more of our otherkin souls. I hope everyone realizes that, despite our longing to be whatever our souls once were (or may have been,) we are still human, and without our human desires and wonder, without the human curiosity, we never would have discovered there was a chance of being 'other' at all.

Being human isn't a curse. It's all we can be sure of, and when you're questioning the very nature of your own soul, that is something to be glad of. Enjoy your humanity. Eat a piece of fruit, stand in the sunlight, breathe in deep and find someone to hug, because this is what makes being human superior, not inferior.
Banner/Avatar done by the GLORIOUS Elinox: THANK YOU!
freelanceangel

kin type: Neteru {Egyptian Angel}
Spiritual Path: henotheist

Re: The Forgotten Truth

Postby Deros on Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:56 pm

*holds up glass made by humans filled with grape juice gathered by humans with his human hand* A toast to humanity!
I would have learned a lot from life if I hadn't spent most of my time being educated.
Deros

kin type: Polymorph/Dragon Multiple
Spiritual Path: Pantheistic Realist

Postby WhiteFox on Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:19 pm

Was it an angel that painted the Mona Lisa?

You never know. There have been quite a few stories of both angels and demons being muses or actually guiding the people in their work ("good" and "bad").
WhiteFox

kin type: Arctic Fox/Hu xian
Spiritual Path: Animism

Postby Granamyr on Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:30 pm

I don't talk about my humanity because...this is an Otherkin message board. I just don't think it gets brought up because...well we're here to talk about being Kin not human.

I don't hate my humanity. It just is.
Granamyr

kin type: Human
Spiritual Path: Germanic Polytheist

Postby kahoku on Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:12 pm

the word "coffee" reminded me i should get one. :)

i don't exactly like being human, but it's a very interesting journey and i wouldn't want to miss a piece of it. does that count?
Support OKP! >> Image << Get a unique user title!
kahoku
cookie demon
cookie demon

kin type: median (demon core)
Spiritual Path: chaotibuddhimanistic

Postby Twilight on Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:00 pm

I don't hate being human. The food down here is much better. When you need to eat all the time I guess it helps to have variety.

What I regret is the unnecessary gaps in what I am allowed to remember.
I dare an agnostic to prove he or she exists.
Twilight

kin type: Angel

Postby chaitea on Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:11 pm

It would be hard to eat pomegranates the way i like to with claws getting in the way...
Home is where the hoard is
chaitea
The Ship's Doctor
The Ship's Doctor

kin type: Dragon

Postby Terro on Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:43 am

I have to applaud this article. Says a lot of things that need to be said.

Human is the fact, Otherkin is the possibility. Humanity is great, the Human body is astounding, Human science and innovation is absolutely incredible. I attribute a lot of the distaste for being Human to the same reasons so many people "hate" their schools, towns or jobs. So many times, someone just needs something to hate.

One of the dangerous sides however are those people that not only full out reject being Human, but find it both offensive and insulting to be reminded of being Human. I even know forums where members are threatened with being banned for expressing the viewpoint that we are Human.
The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.
-The Unit
Terro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Spiritual Path: Lapsed Catholic

Postby Deros on Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:05 am

Terro wrote:One of the dangerous sides however are those people that not only full out reject being Human, but find it both offensive and insulting to be reminded of being Human. I even know forums where members are threatened with being banned for expressing the viewpoint that we are Human.

:shock: Okay... has anybody tried to ask these people to find a mirror and take a look? Possibly along with a photo album or yearbook for comparison? We're part of humanity whether we like it or not, and if we don't like it enough, anybody can get ahold of a steak knife.

For the most part, though, I think that this human-hating thing is another reason why many people "awaken" in their teenage years. People get teen angst, decide that the world is a horrible place, and has horrible people, but that they're definitely different than everyone else. Because guess what? They're not like everyone else. They're not even human like everyone else. The appearance is human, but that's just a prison keeping their true selves in, which is a High Lord General of Hell's Legions, which will soon destroy all of mankind in a single bloody sweep (actually dealt with this once).
I would have learned a lot from life if I hadn't spent most of my time being educated.
Deros

kin type: Polymorph/Dragon Multiple
Spiritual Path: Pantheistic Realist

Postby Terro on Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:28 am

and of course that bloody sweep will be especially painful for all those bullies who ganged up on them in high school I'm sure.
The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.
-The Unit
Terro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Spiritual Path: Lapsed Catholic

Next

Return to Articles