demon subtypes

Articles about otherkin, magic, spirituality, and related topics. This section can be viewed by guests.

demon subtypes

Postby kahoku on Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:50 pm

i was asked about demon subtypes lots of times, now i tried to compile something with no claim to completeness or accuracy.

you cannot put a demon into exactly one category. there are lots of "subtypes" you could define, and even then half the demons would say they're not part of (exactly) one of these. moreover, types can change during a demon's lifetime.

but i have seen this question a couple of times recently, so i'll try to give you some general categories to work with:

* companion/guardian/familiar: a demon who accompanies another being, working as their guard, friend, and/or helper. (the term "familiar" is used for the helpers/companions of witches/sorcerers/whateveryoumaycallthem.)
* devil: often used for brutal demons (but also other creatures) that take pleasure in making others suffer.
* dreamwalkers: enter the dreams of human beings. succubi/incubi are subtypes of this category.
* fallen angel: some people say that fallen angels can become vampires under certain circumstances. i think it's up to the angel to define themself as demon or not.
* fear-eater: specialized in ingesting emotional energy, more exactly fear, they will do anything to scare you. i've written an article about them.
* shadow/shade: don't mix them up with the kin type "shadow". these creatures rarely interact with humans and are often seen as a shade in the corner of your eye.
* shapeshifter: most demons have an ability to change their form, behavior, and energy pattern. shapeshifters are very talented in doing so.
* succubus/incubus: a demon who lives off sexual energy. succubi are "female" (seducing men), while incubi are the opposite.
* trickster: a demon who enjoys (or draws energy from) tricking others - mostly without bad intention, but it's not unheard of that they caused harm to their targets.
* tutor: a demon who teaches you things. be careful there, as always you could fall prey to an imposter.
* vampiric demon: a demon who needs to ingest the energy of other beings. often specialized in one type (see fear-eaters).
* watcher/observer: a very curious demon watching humans (and other beings) and trying to understand them.

as i said, these categories practically don't exist. no demon is exactly one of these, most combine several traits, and there are surely some who don't fit into any of these "subtypes". it's just for those who like to work with labels.
Support OKP! >> Image << Get a unique user title!
kahoku
cookie demon
cookie demon

kin type: median (demon core)
Spiritual Path: chaotibuddhimanistic

Re: demon subtypes

Postby Xanthus on Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:36 pm

kahoku wrote:* companion/guardian/familiar: a demon who accompanies another being, working as their guard, friend, and/or helper. (the term "familiar" is used for the helpers/companions of witches/sorcerers/whateveryoumaycallthem.)
* dreamwalkers: enter the dreams of human beings. succubi/incubi are subtypes of this category.
* succubus/incubus: a demon who lives off sexual energy. succubi are "female" (seducing men), while incubi are the opposite.
* fear-eater: specialized in ingesting emotional energy, more exactly fear, they will do anything to scare you. i've written an article about them.

I have personally met/seen/experienced these demon types.

kahoku wrote:* shadow/shade: don't mix them up with the kin type "shadow". these creatures rarely interact with humans and are often seen as a shade in the corner of your eye.

Possibly this one, too, though I dunno, shadow-demon, or shadow? How do you differentiate?

kahoku wrote:* devil: often used for brutal demons (but also other creatures) that take pleasure in making others suffer.
* tutor: a demon who teaches you things. be careful there, as always you could fall prey to an imposter.

I MAY have seen these - but it could have been something else, too...or nothing.
LONG LIVE THE COMMUNITY!!!
Xanthus

kin type: Unsure
Spiritual Path: Truth

Postby kahoku on Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:41 pm

Xanthus wrote:Possibly this one, too, though I dunno, shadow-demon, or shadow? How do you differentiate?

ever seen a shadow in the corner of your eye? might have been a demon. or a shadow, who knows.

really, don't cling to these types. every demon has a bit of every type in it, the question is how strong or weak this trait is.
kahoku
cookie demon
cookie demon

Postby Xanthus on Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:42 pm

Oh, I understand.
I'm just saying I've had encounters with demons who have displayed these traits.

Oh, and Devil I'm fairly certain of, though I have a reasonable doubt it was something else, but that's a fairly long-shot.
LONG LIVE THE COMMUNITY!!!
Xanthus

kin type: Unsure
Spiritual Path: Truth

Postby HannaTrinity on Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:13 pm

Forgive me but in the first post you said that a demon's type can change. What did you mean by that?
^Made by Elinox^
HannaTrinity

kin type: mixed, multiple

Postby Rain on Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:04 pm

I'm sorry, Kahoku, for taking the liberty of answering in your stead (and even more apologetic if I'm incorrect).

These "sub-types" are more or less personality traits of a demon. For example, a "companion" could always decide that he doesn't feel like being with anybody anymore, and thus would no longer be a companion.

By comparison to humans, I doubt demons are also limited entirely in what they eat. Succubi could become fear-eaters and vice versa if they decided to, it's just a matter of preference, if their body can "digest" and use it, and if they have the necessary adaptations to acquire it (fear-eaters typically need some ability to inspire fear, for example).

It's much like how you can call a person a "Vegetarian". They aren't defined by the term, the term is placed on them thanks to their characteristics, characteristics which are actually modifiable by the person in question. Thus, the term won't always fit if the characteristics change.
~~~
Rain

kin type: Unidentifiable

Postby Seraphyna on Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:08 pm

I look at "types" as job descriptions. You can always decide you don't want to do your job anymore and pick a new one.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."-Tolkien
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Poe
Seraphyna
Site Admin
Site Admin

kin type: Lion and reef shark
Spiritual Path: Spiritually Apathetic

Postby Terro on Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:32 pm

Additionally, Demons being chaotic by nature are subject to changes whether by their choice or nature. I look at subtypes much the same as being a job or action, much rather than in the traditional sense of being a specific Demon such as you would find in archaic lore on demonology (defining demons as being different things like a succubus or a Fallen Angel).
The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.
-The Unit
Terro
Site Admin
Site Admin

kin type: Angel
Spiritual Path: Lapsed Catholic

Postby kahoku on Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:58 pm

rain, sera, and terro explained it very well. just like a human can change hobbies etc. over time, a demon can change too - just more strongly and rapidly. in fact, it's rather uncommon for a demon to stay the same all the time.
kahoku
cookie demon
cookie demon

Postby DemiKin on Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:36 am

I consider my demon side a incubus(for the time being til my awakening shows otherwise) and I feel the need to feed on both male and female sexual energies.
DemiKin

kin type: Demon
Spiritual Path: Mixture

Return to Articles