Multiplicity: What and How?

Articles about otherkin, magic, spirituality, and related topics. This section can be viewed by guests.

Re: Multiplicity: What and How?

Postby flarablaze on Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:38 pm

Spanky wrote:I have a similar system set up for identifying (usually just to myself) the different personalities and their states of being.

Dominant: same as "Fronting" - the personality that's interacting with, and aware of, outward reality
Co-dominance: When multiple personalities are dominant at once. Usually it's just two that both want to engage in the situation, occasionally three.
Puppeting: A state during which a personality indirectly controls any part of the body from "afar". Think of it as being similar to demonic possession portrayed in Hollywood movies (only without the special effects or the drama.) Normally, this state of mind is reserved for emergency situations, such that for whatever reason, no one is able to step forth and control what's going on. However it can be interesting to practice.

Sleeping: "sleep" is the state of mind in which a personality is not consciously aware of reality. The personality will usually just be off in its own little world, ignored by the "wakeful" members unless that personality is needed for a skill or a memory that only it has. When a Sleeping member is awoken, it requires a period of time (known as Grogginess) to recollect its own memories, and to collect the currently known information about its situation.
Death: A state of unconsciousness far beyond sleep. The personality is rejected by all the other personalities, and a belief exists that the "enemy" personality is not, or is no longer, a part of us. Only two personalities have suffered through a state of Death in my lifetime. It was not pretty trying to kill them, and it isn't pretty trying to revive and rehabilitate them.

Rising: When a personality "rises to the surface", normally to the surprise of the dominant personality, and takes over. Sometimes it is a gradual, gentle shift; other times it is abrupt and shocking, both to me and to the people around me. "Move the f*** over, it's MY turn!"
Sinking: When a personality realizes it doesn't want to deal with a situation, and it sort of slinks back down and hides, waiting for a more enthusiastic personality to take its place. If no personality immediately takes its place, a state called Emptiness occurs.

Emptiness: There's no personality traits, no decisions being made, and no directed thought occurring. It's almost like being awake and dreaming, where your thoughts just kind of drift randomly. I'll normally stare off into space until something snaps the attention of one of my personalities.

Yeah this is pretty much me as well, although I have a "Merged" mindset as well.. When all my aspects are speaking as one, in one voice, one thought. Its' awesomes.
flarablaze
Banned
Banned

kin type: Conglomerate/experiment
Spiritual Path: My own..

Postby Archer on Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:19 pm

dazedwolf wrote:But say someone found a personality aspect and focused on expanding it separately from the rest of themselves - would this aspect have the potential to become a multiple, or would this be more along the lines of a median system?

I'm a little confused here, because as I understand the terms, a median system is a kind of multiple system.

I think it would be possible, but very difficult, for someone to split themselves into two complete people (and difficult to split themselves into two incomplete people).

It would be like a person made out of clay making clay pots out of his own body. The more he makes, the less of him there is to do the making.
Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas

"I have suffered from being misunderstood, but I would have suffered a hell of a lot more if I had been understood."

Archer
Alumni

kin type: Shadow

Postby dazedwolf on Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:51 am

Archer wrote:
dazedwolf wrote:But say someone found a personality aspect and focused on expanding it separately from the rest of themselves - would this aspect have the potential to become a multiple, or would this be more along the lines of a median system?

I'm a little confused here, because as I understand the terms, a median system is a kind of multiple system.

I think it would be possible, but very difficult, for someone to split themselves into two complete people (and difficult to split themselves into two incomplete people).

It would be like a person made out of clay making clay pots out of his own body. The more he makes, the less of him there is to do the making.

Thanks Archer :)
Images of broken light which
dance before me like a million eyes
That call me on and on across the universe
dazedwolf

kin type: Therian

Postby momo on Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:52 pm

I know I'm bumping an old topic here, but I've just noticed this isn't in with the other articles on the front page. I think we should put it up on the main site with the others, as many have found it useful, and it's easy to understand and good for those new to multiplicity.

What do you think (especially you, Garnets, as it is your article)? :3

~ Lishie
Thanks to Elinox for the banner!
Fear the Lishie, Blake and Rizumu.
momo
the contagious smile
the contagious smile

kin type: Bunch o' humans

Postby Deros on Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:38 pm

I absolutely think that this should be an article. I had actually assumed that it already was one. *shrugs* The kinds of things that slip my mind...
I would have learned a lot from life if I hadn't spent most of my time being educated.
Deros

kin type: Polymorph/Dragon Multiple
Spiritual Path: Pantheistic Realist

Postby House Hesson on Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:34 pm

Sure thing! ^^

-Nihil
"All knowledge is worth having." -Phedre no Delaunay

"Everything has a price." -Jaenelle Angelline

"I think if you try, that's being your best." -Echo
House Hesson
Alumni

kin type: mostly elves
Spiritual Path: Disciples of Tacgnol

Postby chaitea on Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:09 pm

Moving to the article section (unless told otherwise later)
Home is where the hoard is
chaitea
The Ship's Doctor
The Ship's Doctor

kin type: Dragon

Postby Annwyn on Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:00 pm

We finally found this article! We love it and the terms and what some systems may find unsuitable. It's very helpful and we wish we had found it sooner.

--Shang
Members: Gabriel, Lestat, Nico, Fenrir, and Nathaniel.
Annwyn

kin type: Multiple System
Spiritual Path: Hellenic, Pagan, Agnostic

Postby Annwyn on Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:35 pm

May I post this article on Werelist.net? There seems to be an upcropping of people who'd like to know more about multiple systems.

All credits--of course--will go to you.
Members: Gabriel, Lestat, Nico, Fenrir, and Nathaniel.
Annwyn

kin type: Multiple System
Spiritual Path: Hellenic, Pagan, Agnostic

Postby House Hesson on Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:29 pm

Shangrila wrote:May I post this article on Werelist.net? There seems to be an upcropping of people who'd like to know more about multiple systems.

All credits--of course--will go to you.

Yes, just please link back to our LJ (coldironkiss) since we don't have an actual website up yet. If you want to get specific, it was Shainin who wrote it.

-Nonny
"All knowledge is worth having." -Phedre no Delaunay

"Everything has a price." -Jaenelle Angelline

"I think if you try, that's being your best." -Echo
House Hesson
Alumni

kin type: mostly elves
Spiritual Path: Disciples of Tacgnol

PreviousNext

Return to Articles