Multiplicity: What and How?

Articles about otherkin, magic, spirituality, and related topics. This section can be viewed by guests.

Re: Multiplicity: What and How?

Postby House Hesson on Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:45 am

Xanthus wrote:I don't see how any of those could possibly be offensive unless you identified with any of the descriptors.

I mean, basically I did the equivalent of going:
Mean people suck!

Yeah, if you're mean you could possibly be offended, I guess.

I mean, they're fairly innocuous little idiocies I came up with. If you're truly offended by them, perhaps you could inform me as to why so that I don't arouse your ire in the future?

Would you like to be told you're unimportant or generally don't matter, much less given an "innocuous" label by others to honor the fact that you are deemed a waste of neural impulses?

-Nihil
"All knowledge is worth having." -Phedre no Delaunay

"Everything has a price." -Jaenelle Angelline

"I think if you try, that's being your best." -Echo
House Hesson
Alumni

kin type: mostly elves
Spiritual Path: Disciples of Tacgnol

Postby Deros on Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:49 am

....for some reason, that one point is triggering more fear than any amount of caps. (and it's not even being directed at me) *hides in next dimension in case Nihil gets more frightening*
I would have learned a lot from life if I hadn't spent most of my time being educated.
Deros

kin type: Polymorph/Dragon Multiple
Spiritual Path: Pantheistic Realist

Postby House Hesson on Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:56 am

T.T Sorry. We've had a lot of unintentional schooling in how to be intimidating.

*leaves treats and a cute stuffie?*

-Nihil

House Hesson
Alumni

Postby Xanthus on Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:00 am

The Garnet Host wrote:Would you like to be told you're unimportant or generally don't matter, much less given an "innocuous" label by others to honor the fact that you are deemed a waste of neural impulses?

I never said nor even remotely suggested such a thing. Do not put words in my mouth.
Not to mention, I think anyone who's gone through highschool has suffered that insult and probably much worse.
To me, implying that simply because you are a multiple system you require a higher level of respect than others is downright egotistical.

NOTE: I am not intimidated.
LONG LIVE THE COMMUNITY!!!
Xanthus

kin type: Unsure
Spiritual Path: Truth

Postby House Hesson on Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:53 am

You posted under a quote from another board member who had asked about those who are only present for certain situations, which implies to me that you were directing your commentary toward their situation.

What people generally endure has no bearing on the expectations of conduct on this board, and you are making assumptions when you suggest that I expect a higher level of respect for multiples than singlets. If I'm overreacting, I'm overreacting because my system, and probably others here as well, have sit through enough "jokes" about individuals not being inherently worth something and have suffered serious consequences from repeatedly hearing that message. Being told it's okay because immature high school students do worse is not acceptable to me and it's not going to comfort the less healthy members of the system if a comment like that is the one to put one of them back into zir old, unhealthy mindset, misinterpretation or not.

-Nihil

House Hesson
Alumni

Postby Xanthus on Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:27 am

The Garnet Host wrote:You posted under a quote from another board member who had asked about those who are only present for certain situations, which implies to me that you were directing your commentary toward their situation.

Ok, it was poor timing and placement on my part, I didn't realize it would be taken like that. When I posted it I was thinking of it as a one-off type of link. Anotherwords like, the difference between grey and black.

I wasn't trying to insinuate that a multiple facet (or whatever term you prefer here, I've lost track of which ones offend who at this point) who wasn't around much was unimportant. I was merely saying that a facet who WAS unimportant...yadda yadda.

It was a comment made in poor taste and I apologize for that, though it could have been handled better than by attempts at internet intimidation.

The Garnet Host wrote:What people generally endure has no bearing on the expectations of conduct on this board, and you are making assumptions when you suggest that I expect a higher level of respect for multiples than singlets.

And I was actually referring to Deros' comment here. About how people with difficult to explain situations demand more respect than others. Hogwash, imo.

The Garnet Host wrote:If I'm overreacting, I'm overreacting because my system, and probably others here as well, have sit through enough "jokes" about individuals not being inherently worth something and have suffered serious consequences from repeatedly hearing that message. Being told it's okay because immature high school students do worse is not acceptable to me and it's not going to comfort the less healthy members of the system if a comment like that is the one to put one of them back into zir old, unhealthy mindset, misinterpretation or not.

I was not trying to imply that simply because it's done by a group of people it's okay.
I was more implying that in comparison to something that's generally considered a 'normal' situation that my faux pas was relatively minor.
I, too, suffered the sling and arrows of high school shenanigans and I know many are worse off for that than I am, so I know the pain there and I'm not trying to make light of that.

But again, I'd like to emphasize here something that I'm not sure if it's a rule on this board or another I frequent, but I think, key to any 'friendly' community - which is a rule here, is the "Assumption of Good Intent".

If you go over every post that you find offensive and immediately believe the person who posted it was 'out to get you' then a friendly atmosphere will NEVER be possible. It's too easy to type the wrong thing, link the wrong quote, reference accidentally something someone finds offensive...

It's much better to simply assume the person was not TRYING to offend you and just offer up the fact that you WERE offended and how that can be avoided in the future. So long as you're civil about it and don't make ludicrous demands, I think this would be the 'adult' path to take.

I would like to, again, apologize, on my part, for starting this whole thing, and any hand I had in continuing it past any point it could have ended and I would hope to not cause something like this again.

That's all I'm saying on the issue.
LONG LIVE THE COMMUNITY!!!
Xanthus

kin type: Unsure
Spiritual Path: Truth

Postby Archer on Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:01 pm

Elinox wrote:I do have a question for you though. Would some therians, if not all of them, then be considered "multiples" as they often have a human side and an animal side?

-=snip=-

While I refer to myself as human side/wolf side, the two are not separate entities and I simply make the distinction for clarity sake.

There's your answer right there. If your "human side" and your "wolf side" are two sides of the same person then no you are not a multiple. If they are two different but linked individuals then yes you are.
Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas

"I have suffered from being misunderstood, but I would have suffered a hell of a lot more if I had been understood."

Archer
Alumni

kin type: Shadow

Postby Archer on Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:05 pm

Xanthus wrote:But again, I'd like to emphasize here something that I'm not sure if it's a rule on this board or another I frequent, but I think, key to any 'friendly' community - which is a rule here, is the "Assumption of Good Intent".

No, there is no "assumption of good intent" rule here.

I personally don't have a problem either with your original post or how TGH reacted, and no-one has complained - so at this point no-one needs to worry about being yelled at by me. I will say though that when discussing a topic that is highly personal and of which someone has little in depth knowledge, without taking extra care there is a good chance of offending someone. Whether that offence is a problem or not is an entirely separate issue.
Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas

"I have suffered from being misunderstood, but I would have suffered a hell of a lot more if I had been understood."

Archer
Alumni

Postby BlissfulIsis on Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:17 pm

The Garnet Host wrote:Would you like to be told you're unimportant or generally don't matter, much less given an "innocuous" label by others to honor the fact that you are deemed a waste of neural impulses? -Nihil

I am sorry that you were offended by Xanth, I have always told him that his silliness could be taken the wrong way. There was really nothing offensive or threatening at all in what he said (if you check other discussion he has entered an equal amount of insanity there). There is no need for all of the drama and this being blown out of proportion.
There is nothing more uncommon than common sense. Frank Lloyd Wright

Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. Albert Einstein
BlissfulIsis

Postby Archer on Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:05 pm

Well, there patently was something offensive - at least offensive to TGH.
Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas

Archer
Alumni

PreviousNext

Return to Articles