How to 'find' your Dæmon

Articles about otherkin, magic, spirituality, and related topics. This section can be viewed by guests.

How to 'find' your Dæmon

Postby Dreaming on Tue May 10, 2011 2:53 am

I didn't know where else to put this--but I haven't seen anything on Dæmon, so I figure'd I'd post something~

This is a simple guide filled with info I've found all across the net on my search for how to find your Dæmon, or animal spirit companion type-o'-thing.

A BUNCH of great info can be found here http://daemonpage.com/start.php, but for those of you looking for the info there and more, I'll post a bit more.

Part 1: Intro to Dæmons

Essentially, a Dæmon is you. A Dæmian is the word for anyone who has discovered/found/realized their Dæmon. Your Dæmon has been there your entire life--telling you not to jump off that ledge, reminding you to do your homework, and pack your toothbrush. They're there right now--whether you realize it or not. A Dæmon, in personality, acts much like you. It acts how you would--especially behind closed doors. All the facets of your personality come together to form you and your Dæmon--but because you're the only one who knows they're there, many times you'll find your Dæmon is everything you wish you could be in the world. Based on your personality--your Dæmon will be one or many various forms. As a child--your personality hasn't yet been formed completely, so your Dæmon will take many shapes. The age of "settling", or when someone's Dæmon takes a fixed shape--is usually between the ages of 13 and 17, but can sometimes happen before or after those ages. Every once in a while you meet a Dæmian whose Dæmon doesn't have any set form at all--we tend to call those changelings, and most of the time--the Dæmian has a personality that matches those around them [think Mirror-kin.]

Part 2: Giving your Dæmon a voice

One of the main ways you're told to start forming your Dæmon, is by talking to them. The act of speaking with one's inner creature is both comforting and beneficial. You must understand--no one else can see or interact with your Dæmon. In a way, this creature you'll be 'seeing' and speaking to is a form of Advanced Imagination. This doesn't make them any less real. Write down your conversations--separate each block of text into 2 different colors--and eventually one of them will form its own personality. They're still you--just a very defined section of your personality. Don't be sad if this doesn't happen for a long, long time. By sectioning it out like this--it'll make it easy for you to go back and re-read the text to realize, "Hey--this sounds like a separate person!" At some point this could lead straight into Part 5, and if it does--it does. Let where it's going happen, because whatever wants to happen is natural.

Part 3: Figure out what species your Dæmon is

Don't spend too much time on this step--but definitely give it some thought as you go through each step in the process. The answer will come to you later.

Most Dæmon are still shifting into all sorts of forms until later puberty when ones' personality is still being influenced by those around you. When it finally settles--you can tell a lot about a person by the shape of their Dæmon. Does that quiet person in the back of the library have a Mouse Dæmon? Does that loud, annoying kid who always follows you around at the park have a Seagull Dæmon? Does that boy who works at the Coffee-shop, who always has the ability to smile, have a Jackal Dæmon? These personality comparisons are called an Analysis. When you take an animal and suggest it as a Dæmon based on its personality--it's called a Normal Analysis or NA, while when you take a personality and try to fit an animal to it--it's called a Reverse Analysis or an RA.An easy one-line personality comparison like the one I gave is often called Quick Analysis, or QA. While asking others for help in what shape your Dæmon might take--be sure to run the animal through your own personal filter. A tiger might mean something different to you than it does to the person suggesting it. Similarly, someone with a Spider, or Snake Dæmon are neither necessarily mean or evil--they're simply good at working with whatever they're given, or they have a fragile personality.

Part 4: Giving your Dæmon a form

Once you've got a voice to give your Dæmon, practice visualizing them. Most find it easiest to start out with a simple animal--a butterfly, or mouse. Start by just seeing them bounce or flit around the room with your eyes closed. Once you've gotten comfortable putting your Dæmon in the space around you with your eyes closed--do it while your eyes are open. Really trust yourself while seeing your Dæmon with your inner eye. As you go--have them land in your hand. Give the form they take weight--really put them in your world. Feel the warmth of a creature as they sit on your hand--and feel the wind beneath them as they hop around. Once you've gotten comfortable with something small, try something bigger--a cat or bird. Feel the textures of the animal, furs or scales or feathers, while speaking to them--really getting to know them.

Eventually, you'll be speaking, seeing, and feeling your Dæmon right there next to you. Practice these techniques daily, and you'll have your own permanent friend there whenever you need them.

Part 5: Naming your Dæmon

Contrary to what some believe, your Dæmon was not born with its name--much like how you were. Many find this last step both intimidating and exciting--but you can go years without ever quite finding the right name for your Dæmon. Look up naming-sites, and look for names by meaning in all sorts of different languages. Don't rush a name--your Dæmon should be named as thoughtfully and as carefully as you were. Some name their Dæmon eccentric, unique names like Drearkenark and Kratzi. Some find simple, but unique names for their companions, like Pterr and Naair. Most don't lean towards common names like Ben or Hannah because they simply don't fit--but if the name truly feels right to you--run it by your Dæmon. It's also highly suggested that if you do pick a longer name for your friend and companion, you also choose a fitting nickname--as the entire name of your companion can become tedious to say during day-to-day life. Your Dæmon should be included in the process of choosing his, her, or it's name. Even pronouns should be chosen only after consulting your Dæmon, because some refer to a Dæmon as something as unique as a dir or der.

Part 6: Final Word

Sometimes Dæmians only speak to them, or only see them. Some do both. Practice one--then try the other, but be prepared to realize you prefer one over the other. With time and practice--you'll be speaking to a part of yourself in ways you never would've expected before.

If you have ANY questions, feel free to PM me! I don't have all the answers, but I enjoy taking the time to look up new things~

Until then, good luck~

~Dreaming
Dreaming

kin type: Shadowkin
Spiritual Path: Pagan--considering Kemeticism or Animism

Re: How to 'find' your Dæmon

Postby kahoku on Tue May 10, 2011 1:36 pm

Thank you for this great essay! Would you mind if I moved it into the Articles section?
Support OKP! >> Image << Get a unique user title!
kahoku
cookie demon
cookie demon

kin type: median (demon core)
Spiritual Path: chaotibuddhimanistic

Re: How to 'find' your Dæmon

Postby Dreaming on Tue May 10, 2011 7:52 pm

kahoku wrote:Thank you for this great essay! Would you mind if I moved it into the Articles section?

Not at all~ I couldn't figure out where to post it. xDD Move away~ 83 You're welcome.
Dreaming

kin type: Shadowkin
Spiritual Path: Pagan--considering Kemeticism or Animism

Return to Articles