Balancers

Articles about otherkin, magic, spirituality, and related topics. This section can be viewed by guests.

Balancers

Postby Seraphyna on Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:39 pm

I decided to write up an article on balancers. If any of you can think of something else I should include, let me know. This is basically a third draft, so input is great.

EDIT: The article you're about to read is personal belief and understanding. This may or may not be something you yourself believe, it is me sharing my beliefs which result from years of personal exploration. I don't expect you to agree, but I do expect civility, maturity, and respect for my beliefs.

Balancers are beings whose task it is to maintain as much of a balance as possible between order and chaos across all planes/realms/etc. in the multiverse. We are described as everything and nothing and whatever we decide we are. I personally identify as a celestial, but that doesn't mean we all do, and we tend to be polymorphic. My theory on our forms is that we have one dominant form for each element including light and dark/shadow. Our forms are mainly used to appear to other beings in a physical sense to influence them one way or another. While we are all polymorphic energy beings, the core “type” we identify with may or may not be the same. How we appear to the physical planes is by condensing our energy to appear physical, while in actuality we are not.

Balance was most often achieved by directly going to a plane/realm/etc., and appearing to choice individuals to thereby influence them in the hope that they would eventually come to produce a desired result. It’s kind of like how people here on earth might see an angel or the Virgin Mary and then become a “holy person,” lending guidance to others, leading them toward order. On the other hand, they might see a “satanic” apparition and lead people toward chaos.

So what do I mean by balance? Balance is not a state of half order half chaos. It is not static, but fluid. Balance is forever shifting and changing. The aim is for neither order nor chaos to become so dominant that it threatens to take over. There must be a good amount of both in order for something to be balanced. There is chaos in order and order in chaos and too much of one is never a good thing. If one were to take over, the plane/realm/etc. would implode and existence would cease to exist. The preservation of existence is our purpose.

We have an innate knowledge of what balance is, so the best answer I can give to “how do you know what needs doing” is that we are linked directly to the universal consciousness and thus know what is in balance and what is not. We are servants of the universe, not of a deity or some more specific being, but the All/Source/Universe Itself. We also aren’t given exact instructions, but instead are directed as to what is out of balance. How we deal with it is up to us.

In the way of influencing individuals, advice was all it took for some people, an apparition was all it took for others, and, for some, direct contact (sometimes even destruction of the individual) was necessary. It was not about getting beings to “worship” anything or anyone, just to influence certain individuals enough to then promote order or disorder…whichever was needed at the time. I don’t mean to say that balance was maintained in every plane/realm/etc. we visited. It wasn’t. The goal is not to maintain balance in every single place in the multiverse, but to maintain some kind of equilibrium in the multiverse as a whole. If one realm is total chaos, there is another that is total order to balance it out.

So how do we go about direct contact. We will take a form that we find more relatable, fearsome, etc. whatever suits our needs. We will then appear to the individual in that form and enter conversation if necessary. In more extreme cases, direct possession was required (though this course was avoided as much as possible to preserve free will) and in the most dire situations, the death of an individual may have been called for.

I’m not sure how many of us exist…though 13 strikes me as the correct number. We were created at the beginning of “Time”…once energy became ordered enough to form the universe, life, souls. We also don’t have the same forms, other than winged humanoid (we all have a form like that). We tend to call the Silver City “home,” spending most of our time there in a state of condensed energy, usually to a winged humanoid form. The City is a realm much like earth in its lush, more jungle-like stage. There are trees, waterfalls, dense growth, the City itself sitting atop the largest waterfall with the river running through it. However, it is not a physical place but one of highly condensed energy. It is basically as physical as energy gets without being truly physical like the keyboard I’m tying on. Otherwise, we were rather formless, existing where we desired in what form we desired (or no form at all).

We also do not work alone. While there are only so many Balancers proper, there are individuals across all planes who we work with. Our ambassadors so to speak. Maintaining universal balance is not such an easy task even for versatile beings such as we are. We do have help. That is why you will probably come across individuals in the otherkin community identifying as physical beings who do our work. They are not balancers, but may very well be (and probably are) linked to us.

We were forbidden to love, for love destroys neutrality. Thus, we were betrothed to other beings, not necessarily other balancers. What I mean by love is that all encompassing feeling that someone is your “other half”. The kind of love where you put everything else’s welfare below that one individual. To feel that kind of love is, for a Balancer, counterproductive to our roles. Therefore, all measures are taken to avoid it. We also did not often use a spoken language, but instead were telepathically linked. We could shut the other Balancers out, even to some degree shut out the Source Itself. For communication, however, we could send our thoughts to each other rendering spoken communication irrelevant. We were capable of it however, and it is more of a sing-song energy vibration type of language, definitely not remotely reproducible by human vocal cords. We had no tools, no clothing, no food. As energetic beings we can appear how we want, where we want, wearing what we want, etc. There is no need for the same things that physical beings require.

I have never met another incarnated Balancer, but we do incarnate as our job takes a toll We have free will, but our job (what we were created for) does not allow for the same freedoms as most other beings in the multiverse enjoy. Thus, we do get to take the occasional vacation, mostly when one of us clearly burns out. For me that was finding that one individual who is my “other half” and falling in love…yes, that kind of love that compromises neutrality. A Balancer who “snaps” is not a pretty sight.

What about free will you might ask. Look at it this way: Balancer is not only a job title, it is what we are. What we were created for. A human example would be if one was born a lawyer. It would not only be a job title, but a personal descriptor. Lawyer would be what you are as well as what you do. Can we request to change jobs? Yes. Could we request to be “recycled,” to be created as something new? Yes. Would we? Probably not. Balancer is what we are, what we were made for. Doing what we do is not only all we know, but fulfilling one’s purpose gives an individual deep satisfaction and joy. So what I’m really trying to say is we want to do it and in a way have a need to as well. We are not slaves, servants, etc. We are more than willing.

So what kind of “power” does it take to do our job? Well, I describe us as such: look at the multiverse as an infinitely faced diamond. Each facet is a realm/plane. The carbon bonds are the Source/All/etc., the bonds are what make a diamond a diamond. Balancers tend to the molecules of the diamond so it remains a diamond and does not fall apart. We are powerful, I won’t try to play that down. We are more powerful than every other being in the multiverse save the Source/All/etc. We have to be. We require the ability to terminate any being in existence if it is called for, so we must contain vast sources of energy that rival every being save our Creator.

All of this being said, I am aware that it is through a human lens and thus tainted by my experiences, biology, understandings, basically by being human. Something non-physical mimicking the physical is not the same. The City is not atop a waterfall as we humans know them, but the energetic equivalent. If a human being viewed both, they would notice no difference; however, they are not the same. And it is with this understanding that I will say how I am personality and odd quirks wise. I do believe that one’s behaviors and physical things are a product of being human. However, I am also human and Balancer 24 hours a day, every day. I do notice shifts in how human I am, mental shifts to a more Balancer type mindset.

I have constant physical strain on my back from phantom limbs and do experience phantom shifts to my preferred forms (I often call them aspects or morphs). I have a very quick temper and do occasionally experience rage blackouts if I’m pushed over the edge so to speak. I am sometimes quite over sure of myself and sometimes do come off as arrogant, especially when I’m in a much more Balancer dominated mindset. I have been known to put out a definite air of “I am right and you know it”. I lose body heat primarily through my feet, while most humans lose it primarily through their head. I took a breath underwater once, and am far too chicken to try it and see if I can really do it or if it was some kind of miracle that one time I ran out of air 30 feet down and couldn’t find my regulator. I am a generator, meaning that I naturally produce much more energy than I need to sustain my physical constitution. As such my aura/energy field extends quite far if I do not consciously reign it in. I have so much energy at my disposal that I have never been bothered by anyone.

I also have binds/wards on me to keep my incarnate. My energy is so vast, being a Balancer and all, that it far exceeds that of a physical being’s soul. As such, binds/wards are required to limit it so that my energy doesn’t overload this form and effectively kill it. It would definitely not destroy the world if I could destroy my binds, but it would destroy this body. I cannot remove them, and they limit my abilities quite a bit. I cannot contact “home” and cannot access the astral. I figure that is probably due to the fact that I am incarnated for a vacation…and the definition of vacation from being a Balancer would include no knowing what needs doing or contacting anyone affiliated with us or one of us.

So here ends my article on what Balancers are. I call us complicated polymorphic energy thingies, and I think it’s a pretty apt description.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."-Tolkien
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Poe
Seraphyna
Site Admin
Site Admin

kin type: Lion and reef shark
Spiritual Path: Spiritually Apathetic

Re: Balancers

Postby Deros on Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:04 pm

We had started to write a detailed commentary on this, but we lost it because the laptop froze up. Pretty much the main issue that we had with it was: how do you know that your group of thirteen was the only group? Kraela and Yriela considered themselves balancers before being incarnated, and Deros sees himself as a balancer by association. The purpose of the job was the same for us, but not the homeland and often not the method, either. And we've never gotten the hang of the winged humanoid look. Levitation works just as well for us.

-a collective statement

As a side point, now that we've actually finished reading this, we've never been very strong energy-wise either. We've always prefered finesse to power in almost all cases.
I would have learned a lot from life if I hadn't spent most of my time being educated.
Deros

kin type: Polymorph/Dragon Multiple
Spiritual Path: Pantheistic Realist

Postby Elinox on Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:23 pm

Very nice, and long, article!

However, a few critiques grammatically speaking.

Seraphyna wrote:Balancers tend to the molecules of the diamond so it remains a diamond and does not fall apart.

You're missing the "be". "Balancers tend to be the molecules of the diamond so it remains a diamond and does not fall apart."

I liked how you explained the Balancer purpose, however at the end of the article you jumped to reasons why you best feel the term Balancer fits you. This is fine, but maybe elaborate as to how you came to these conclusions?

Anyway, just my suggestions. This was a great read, thanks for sharing it!
I created this banner. If you want one too, see here. Please do not copy, alter, edit, ect. Thank you.

"Life's too short to be anything but happy." -Karl Marx
Elinox
Professional Pirate
Professional Pirate

kin type: seawolf

Postby Motley on Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:28 pm

Deros wrote:We had started to write a detailed commentary on this, but we lost it because the laptop froze up. Pretty much the main issue that we had with it was: how do you know that your group of thirteen was the only group? Kraela and Yriela considered themselves balancers before being incarnated, and Deros sees himself as a balancer by association. The purpose of the job was the same for us, but not the homeland and often not the method, either. And we've never gotten the hang of the winged humanoid look. Levitation works just as well for us.

-a collective statement

As a side point, now that we've actually finished reading this, we've never been very strong energy-wise either. We've always prefered finesse to power in almost all cases.

Careful Deros, she's probably going to say y'all were lesser beings who were being manipulated by the all-powerful thirteen.

(Wow, and they thought that me being a godling fragment of a nearly extinct religion was overkill! I'm small potatoes!)
"I inherited the spirit of the sun. I'll meet you when the day breaks through. It's time to shine and make all your dreams come true. Come on, wish upon a dog star!" -Hybrid
Motley

kin type: Sky Spirit
Spiritual Path: thunder dreamer

Postby Seraphyna on Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:23 pm

Elinox wrote:However, a few critiques grammatically speaking.

Seraphyna wrote:Balancers tend to the molecules of the diamond so it remains a diamond and does not fall apart.

You're missing the "be". "Balancers tend to be the molecules of the diamond so it remains a diamond and does not fall apart."

I am not! Tend to, as in take care of. Ha! :P Sorry, I'm a grammar nut, so I know I'm right ;)

Elinox wrote:I liked how you explained the Balancer purpose, however at the end of the article you jumped to reasons why you best feel the term Balancer fits you. This is fine, but maybe elaborate as to how you came to these conclusions?

Aye, it's still unfinished. When I'm in the typing out long ass articles mood again, I'll edit that in there :)

Motley wrote:Careful Deros, she's probably going to say y'all were lesser beings who were being manipulated by the all-powerful thirteen.

(Wow, and they thought that me being a godling fragment of a nearly extinct religion was overkill! I'm small potatoes!)

No, I'd say that either they're Balancers (heck, there ar 13 of us afterall provided I'm even right on the number. "Feels right" and "is" aren't the same thing.) or they are beings we work so closely with they feel they are one of our number. No way to say for sure until we all die and find out if we're nuts or not. I'm always wary of typing up stuff on us. I realize that it probably comes off as "we have the powerz of awesome and can pwn everything"...yes it sounds fluffy to me too some days, but since this is supposed to be an article on us I kind of had to include that point. Our job means we have to be able to destroy basically anything in existance...so yeah, power is a necessary part of the job. We aren't gods, we just have some serious fire power.
Seraphyna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Elinox on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:04 pm

Seraphyna wrote:
Elinox wrote:However, a few critiques grammatically speaking.

I am not! Tend to, as in take care of. Ha! :P Sorry, I'm a grammar nut, so I know I'm right ;)

Accept that you were describing something as a simile, so "be" would be correct. If you meant it as in "caring for" you should have added a few more descriptors to clarify. Plus, it sounds more fluid. And I am a grammar nut as well, English major and all. :P
I created this banner. If you want one too, see here. Please do not copy, alter, edit, ect. Thank you.

"Life's too short to be anything but happy." -Karl Marx
Elinox
Professional Pirate
Professional Pirate

kin type: seawolf

Postby Deros on Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:28 am

Seraphyna wrote:No, I'd say that either they're Balancers (heck, there ar 13 of us afterall provided I'm even right on the number. "Feels right" and "is" aren't the same thing.) or they are beings we work so closely with they feel they are one of our number. No way to say for sure until we all die and find out if we're nuts or not. I'm always wary of typing up stuff on us. I realize that it probably comes off as "we have the powerz of awesome and can pwn everything"...yes it sounds fluffy to me too some days, but since this is supposed to be an article on us I kind of had to include that point. Our job means we have to be able to destroy basically anything in existance...so yeah, power is a necessary part of the job. We aren't gods, we just have some serious fire power.

A little bit later than I should have been, but here's the general consensus. As we have mentioned elsewhere on the site, we (or, Kraela and Yriela, really) did have a master, who "told" them what to do- mostly consisting of the knowledge of what had to be accomplished, as you described it- and training. Once again, I think that it's more possible that we did the same job with different shops than that we were fellow employees and we just have different experiences of it.

-No idea...
I would have learned a lot from life if I hadn't spent most of my time being educated.
Deros

kin type: Polymorph/Dragon Multiple
Spiritual Path: Pantheistic Realist

Postby Seraphyna on Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:05 am

I always say that if we get computer access when we go back to our "true forms" (provided we're just not all crazy) we should type up our realities and compare notes lol.
Seraphyna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rain on Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:50 am

Seraphyna wrote:I always say that if we get computer access when we go back to our "true forms" (provided we're just not all crazy) we should type up our realities and compare notes lol.

Chances are, if we're all correct about our true forms, we won't need internet. We'll tell each other through telepathy or simply pop in front of each other, or something.
~~~
Rain

kin type: Unidentifiable

Postby Iro on Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:33 am

So many questions to ask, so little time:

First, what do you mean by "order" and "chaos"? Are we talking in terms of entropy, ideology, action, or something else entirely? Second, define "planes" and "multiverse." Are we talking along the order of a theory that arose out of quantum physics and that holds that there are an infinite number of alternate planes of existence based specifically on different outcomes of any action (usually explained in terms of "if you flip a coin, there's a universe for it landing on heads and one for tails and one for on the edge and...")? Are there a finite number of universes and, if so, how many are there?

Your description of keeping balance contains a contradiction: first you explain that you must maintain balance on an individual plane because if you do not it will implode and existence will end, then you say that the job is actually only about multiversal balance and not singular planar balance. Which is it?

As for all of us having "innate knowledge of what balance is," that's like saying that we all have innate knowledge of what the color blue is. Language is a tool used by people to communicate their thoughts without the benefits of telepathy - it's a medium we try to agree upon so as to understand each other. Please, what do you mean by "balance"?

From what you say, I'm sure many philosophers and physicists would love to study you - you'd answer so many questions and throw out all of their theories. Since you're currently human and living within a human society, wouldn't it be good of you to contribute to that society by enlightening the rest of us as to the very nature of the universe? Maybe we can help maintain "balance."

Overall, I'm perplexed: your "race" is not only a group of spirits tasked with maintaining balance (whatever that is) in the multiverse (whatever that may be), but was created specifically for that purpose, yet your race is capable of falling in love which, as you say, is completely antithetical to your job. Wouldn't it have been easier for the "universal consciousness" to create, say, something that's incapable of falling in love (say a force) if falling in love had the potential for ending all of existence? Furthermore, plenty of humans with great power - CEOs, presidents, monarchs, judges, police officers, and mayors all have responsibilities outside of their married lives, yet they are all not only allowed to marry but it is rare for them not to be married and further are still able to maintain their niches. I'd think a race as powerful and wise as yours would be equally capable of that.

More than just that, I'm flabbergasted that no one has called shenanigans on this. Thirteen or so beings to maintain incredibly important physical and metaphysical fluctuations and constants, all of whom are able to fall in love but shouldn't? I'd imagine that all of you falling in love with mortals would work well to counter-balance each other: that's practically how the Olympians worked. Come to think of it, there were from twelve to fourteen of them: six of the first generation (Demeter, Hades, Hera, Hestia, Poseidon, and Zeus), one from Zeus and Metis (Athena), two by Hera (Ares and Hephaistos), two by Leto (Apollo and Artemis), one by Maia (Hermes), one by Semele (Dionysus), and one suggested to be from Uranus (Aphrodite). They had your level of power and knowledge, according to myth, and did similarly broad things as "maintaining balance." They also had ambassadors (nymphs, satyrs, monsters, priests, and oracles). Really, the only difference is that you haven't been associated with the label "god" or "deity."

I've talked to shadows, rakshasas, demons, angels, fauns, elementals, "oil sprites," and machine genii, amongst plenty of other non-human entities. The background information you have provided about your former psychology, such as falling in love, is more human than any of these far less non-human beings, yet your race is a cosmological force! That's not far-fetched, that's insulting to our intelligence. Please, have some decency: we may believe we aren't human, but even those of us who have Elven Princess Syndrome don't make claims that are better applied to the objects of worship of the various world religions.
Iro

Location: Currently the Windswept Paths outside of Pandemonium and the Demon Pits of Tartarus (Tulsa, OK, clos
kin type: Elf/Sylph by any name
Spiritual Path: My own spirituality; eclectic, animist, mystic

Next

Return to Articles